Before coming down here, I knew I was going to learn about the tropical biology and geology, but I never realized I would learn so much more. So here is a small conglomeration of everything living on Bonaire for the past month has taught me: I need to watch where I walk, and be more cautious of Indonesian restaurants and sea urchins. Night snorkeling is really fun, bioluminescence is really cool, especially when coupled with a full moon. Following around Trunkfish and Angelfish can be highly entertaining. Iguanas can run very fast. Snorkeling the reef crest is scary despite what Jerry might say. I never want to see another mosquito ever again. Jumping off the Oil Slick Leap is more fun than it should be. Even though it may say so in the Bonaire Affair magazine, aloe is NOT appetizing (except maybe when in a drink). Always hydrate and eat lunch in the tropics. Sea turtles are awesome, especially when they let you swim next to them. I want to get dive certified more than ever. Waking up with the sun to find seahorses before breakfast is totally worth it, even if the seahorses are nowhere to be found. Santa Claus lives in Bonaire in January, and makes really delicious pizza. Feeding donkeys is really funny. Frogs chirp all night, and jump on people's heads during the day. There are 200 caves on the island, snorkeling in a cave is more exciting than I thought. Riding in the back of a truck while going through the Washington Slagbaai national park is a bad idea, but yet very fun. The caribbean has amazing sunsets, even if I always missed the green flash.
Seriously though, I have loved this trip and being on this island. Just being able to be in the water snorkeling the reef almost every day is so much more than I ever could have expected. I was able to observe such a great variety of sea animals, some of which I had never even heard of before. I would love to stay so much longer and keep doing that. And I learned so much from the science team, especially about AUV's - something I knew nothing about before this trip. It's been an incredible month.



