Here in Bonaire, I have learned about the high diversity of life in and around the ocean. Through my project, I was forced to take notice of small organisms and other life on the coast that I generally would not pay attention to. Also, learning to identify the various corals and animals in the ocean seriously enhanced the time I spent diving and snorkeling. Before, I was simply in awe of all the awesome looking fish and structures, but it was so much better being able to think to myself, "Look at that ___" and know what it was.
In addition, I never really thought about the detailed structure of a coral. I knew it had polyps, but I didn't know what they were all about and now I do.
I also learned a lot from Maggie, who is totally into rocks and not biology (like me). Doing our video was a fun learning experience for me and she explained some pretty cool stuff to me, I would have never really appreciated if I didn't come on this trip.
The most unexpected experience I had, outside of relearning how to drive manual in 2 minutes, was our first dive on the Hilma Hooker. It was dusk, so the urchins were coming out in full swing and I fell like a turtle on my back trying to get out. I was stuck on my back waiting for Chris and Kat to come help me out and then a large wave came up behind me and turned me onto my stomach and slid me onto the rocks. Thank goodness those two helped me up and that I magically avoided the urchins and didn't even get a cut despite my face being inches from the rock. I must admit the entire experience was quite entertaining and I was laughing hysterically the entire time, which is probably of no surprise to anyone!
*My eyes are closed in this picture, but it was my first night dive ever and it was so awesome!
Ashley Schutt
