In my brief stay on the island of Bonaire I haven't met many of the local people but one person in particular defiantly knows me by name. She is Cornelia, the stoic American Eagle agent who has been trying to find my lost luggage. I've gone back to the airport almost every day hoping, in vain, to see my bag on the luggage rotunda. And every time I go back Cornelia is there to greet me by name and help me. On Saturday when I had gone to the airport for the second time in as many days was the first time I saw Cornelia smile. Being someone who works with lost luggage I'm sure she often has people screaming and yelling at her and therefore needs as calm a demeanor as possible. She truly has that. She seems extremely unflappable but at the same time extremely helpful. Our exchanges always end with her saying she will at work at 5:00 AM, (as a reminder this conversation takes place at 10:00 PM). She works everyday from 5 am to till 10 am. For some quick math that is a 17 hour day. I find that incredibly impressive.
Chris
Bonaire W08 Study Abroad
UD Team Undergrad!