

I have had a wonderful experience in Bonaire. I met a lot of great people and I learned about so many things that I never knew about before, also many things were a first for me. Some of my favorite things that I did while I was here was snorkel, windsurf, kayak, go to the donkey sanctuary, and go caving. I thought that that the caving excursion was a great way to end our time in Bonaire. I really enjoyed it because it's something that I cannot wait to go home and tell my friends and family about.
When I was younger, I had been touring through caves, but nothing like what we did. Henk was a really good cave tour guide. In the first cave, we climbed down a ladder into a hole to enter. It was extremely hot and we all turned our lights out to see what it would be like without light in the cave, it was so dark I couldn't see anyone I was sitting next to. The second cave we went to, we had to climb down into it with a rope. It was considered a "wet cave" where we got to snorkel inside it. The water in the cave was freshwater and we had to be careful not to stir up sediment from the bottom. I learned how to snorkel in a cave and it's definitely one of the coolest things I've done. I also learned that there are many caves in Bonaire that are trying to be preserved, while only four are open to the public for touring. Preservation of the caves is important not only for educational and research value, but for the bats that make it there home who provide vegetation to the island.